Friday, June 12, 2009

Positive TV

These days you can't flip through the channels without coming across at least a dozen "reality" shows. I'll admit, I tend to watch them. The drama of America's Next Top Model and the various Housewives of Wherever shows fascinate me. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a special fascination with the Duggar family.

At first, I thought these people were crazy for having so many children. I've even been brought to doing math to figure out just how crazy it is. For example, if all 18 of their children have 18 kids of their own, that comes out to 324 grandchildren for Jim Bob and Michelle. How are they going to keep up with all of them? But, lately I have realized that we might just be able to learn (or remember) some of life's more important lessons. The Duggars have very conservative values that many people don't adhere to. However, regardless of whether you share their same values or not, I can't help but be impressed by just how much they hold on to what they believe. So many people are wishy washy, but these people are a true example of standing up for what you believe in and not letting others sway you from that. I am also amazed by how non-judgemental the Duggars are. Yes, they live their lives in a very conservative manner, but they do not pass judgement on others who are more liberal. They also seem to be avid learners and always eager to soak up new knowledge. From watching their show, I am also reminded that children learn their behaviors from their parents. If you freak out about everything, that is the example set for your children. If you are kind to others and strive to do good for your community, your children will generally follow that example as well.

By no stretch of the imagination do I believe that this family is perfect, and from what is portrayed they do not believe that either. However, I do believe that they strive to always do the best they can and just wish to encourage others to do so as well. In a time when there is so much negativity and so many reality dramas on tv, it is refreshing to watch a family that truly loves one another and exudes such positivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.