Friday, June 19, 2009

Fragile, Handle with Care

Well, I had planned to blog about how I am cursed when it comes to growing tomatoes (and I still will at some point) but I have something that seems a little more important. This afternoon, my mom called to tell me that a man we know was killed in a car wreck late last night. He wasn't anyone that was a close friend of the family or anything like that, but we have known him for a number of years. He and his wife were out of state, we're guessing from where they were that maybe they were going to see the Razorbacks play today. They were making a turn and were hit by a truck. The tragic news just reminded me of how fragile and fleeting life really is. I think that we get so caught up in our day to day routines that sometimes we forget to slow down and enjoy life. When it comes down to it, which is more important: spending hours not talking to your significant other in order to prove that you were right about something or just getting over it and spending those hours enjoying one another's company? Making your kids spend hours cleaning their rooms or taking a few minutes to help them and then playing outside with them? At the end of my life, I guarantee I'm not going to say "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time cleaning" or "Gosh, if only I'd worked more". And I hope that I'm not left saying "I really wish I hadn't missed so much with my kids". In all honesty, I think we'd all be a little better off if we kept in mind just how fragile life is. We have never been promised tomorrow, but we do have today. So take some time and enjoy it. I promise, it's worth every minute!

(And I promise, my rant about those cursed tomato plants is coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.