Friday, June 5, 2009

Bye-bye Blackberry?

Lately, I have been paying a lot more attention to how I spend our money. Who hasn't with the economy the way it is? I have noticed that the little things are adding up way too quickly for my liking. Eight years ago when we first got married, we very rarely spent money on the little things. We spent our money on the necessities. And, to be honest, we were a lot better off back then. (Geez, I wish I'd realized that back then!) So, anyways, I got to thinking about my blackberry and how much I pay for the plan that goes along with it. Every month, I pay $30 for the plan and I don't think I use it enough to justify that much. Yes, it is nice to get my email wherever I am. Yes, it is fun to be able to update MySpace on whatever I'm doing. But...is it really worth $30? So I bring this up to hubby (who came as close to jumping with joy as he will ever do when I mentioned saving money) and he says that he had been thinking about turning the internet plan on his phone off as well. We realized that we could save $45 every month just by doing these two things. Over the course of the year, that is more than $500! We both agreed that it sounds great. Plus, I have two perfectly good flippy phones, one of which I actually loved before the blackberry came along and stole it's thunder. So every day since this conversation, he comes home from work and asks me if I've made a decision. Yes, I have made a decision. I really do want to get rid of the blackberry and return to a normal phone because I don't honestly use the internet on my phone that often. But I have become accustomed to having that safety net there. Logically, I know that I survived for years without toting the internet around with me and I can do it again. But for some reason, I just can't bring myself to actually call the cell phone people and cancel the plan. I also am having this same problem with calling the cable company to cancel our subscription to HBO. We don't even watch HBO! It came as part of our promo package when we first moved in last summer. I think the problem is that I don't want to upset anyone. Logically, I know that they could care less because they'll just sign up some other sucker. So, until I get over this odd, irrational thing I've got going on here, I'll continue to watch nearly $60 just fly out of my pocket every month. What exactly is wrong with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.