Thursday, October 1, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness



October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I could pelt you with a bunch of statistics about breast cancer, but the subject is so close to my heart that simply throwing a bunch of statistics out just doesn't cut it. Eighteen months ago, my grandmother passed away as a result of breast cancer. It was her second bout with the disease. She had been experiencing symptoms for about two months before she went into the hospital on Christmas night and was diagnosed. I firmly believe that she knew what she had and just feared the confirmation. Very early on Easter morning in 2008, she passed away. I was very close to her. The loss still hurts. My daughter is named after her. To this day, I still catch myself picking up the phone to call her. But, I can't; she is gone. My other grandmother has beaten breast cancer twice now. However, she had to have a mastectomy. My hubby's grandmother just beat breast cancer as well. As you can tell, my life has been greatly impacted by this horrible disease.

Early detection is one of the best measures you can take in fighting breast cancer. Get checked and do it often. Be vigilant about monthly self-exams and report any changes to your doctor immediately. I know that it can be scary. If you are in a position to make donations to organizations that support breast cancer research, that is wonderful. We make a small monthly donation which is deducted from the hubby's paycheck. However, I firmly believe that one of the best things you can do is encourage all the women in your life to always be watchful of their breast health. Don't put it off ladies!! Also, don't forget to practice what you preach!

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from SITs.

    Wonderful entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate you sharing your story. Making it personal makes it hit home. Thanks. And here's something I think you'll appreciate -- http://www.ahamoment.com/vote/polly -- a short video about one remarkable woman's "aha moment" that led her to walk around the world for breast cancer. Vote for it or any of the other videos you'll find at the site. One click is all it takes, and the top-10 vote getters will be next year’s aha moment TV commercials.

    Thanks,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from SITS and was moved by this entry! Thanks for sharing your Grandma's story!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.