Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Beef Stew Recipe

It hit me last night that, as much time as I have spent talking about my crock pot, I've never shared my recipe for Beef Stew. I make tons of things in my crock pot (as you can tell by previous posts) but this is probably the one recipe I make the most. The kiddos love it, as does the hubby. It is super simple, and it is so basic that it is easy to tinker with if you are out of something or if you just want something a little different.

Beef Stew

2 tbsp flour
2 tsp seasoning**
1 lb beef stew meat
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium onion
3 cups cubed potatoes
2 (10 oz) pkg frozen mixed vegetables
2 (11.5 oz) cans vegetable juice
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp beef bouillon granules
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1 bay leaf

Place flour and seasoning in large plastic Ziploc bag. Add stew meat and shake to coat. Heat cooking oil over med-high heat. Add meat and brown (don't cook all the way through, just want to brown it). Place in crock pot. Layer onion, potatoes and vegetables on top of meat. In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Pour over layers in crock pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or 5-6 hours on high.

**The seasoning I use for this, my roast and so many other things is Paula Deen's House Seasoning. The recipe is easily found in her cookbooks and online. But since I'm nice, I'll share it with you here. In an airtight container, mix together 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup black pepper and 1/4 cup garlic powder. This awesome stuff can be stored in your airtight container for up to 6 months and used on pretty much anything.

Enjoy the stew!

5 comments:

  1. That's it! I'm totally breaking down and buying a crock pot. I'm seeing all these crock pot recipes all over the blog world and it's making me hungry for these great yummy comfort foods. any suggestion on what kind I should buy? I work 2hrs from my house it is safe to leave plugged in for 12 hrs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the red $20 one from Target, it works like a charm. They are safe to leave plugged in while you're at work, plus you come home to the smell of dinner waiting on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmm I heart beef stew. Not the beef stew like in Bench Warmers but the one you speak of sounds delicious!

    Oh and sorry to hear about your CD missing. That sucks too :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have a crockpot and when I made roast in it the other day, was thinking I should try beef stew sometime this winter. Hope you have a good day...
    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!! Whenever I use my crock-pot, I think of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.