Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Art of Parenting

It strikes me that I spend so much time writing about my kiddos and parenting in my little blog here. I didn't actually plan this, but, hey, it's my blog and I'll do what I want. (Yes, I stomped my foot as I said that.) The truth is that I spend 90% of my time thinking about my kiddos and parenting so it makes sense that it comes out in my blog.

(FYI: The other 10% of my time is spent contemplating very deep questions such as "chocolate or vanilla?", "chocolate syrup or caramel?", and "Do I want a croissant with my coffee this morning?".)

I have often joked with my mom that the people at the hospital forgot to give me the manual that goes with my kids. Seriously, dishwashers come with users manual. Why don't kids? They are far more complicated than dishwashers. Here is the conclusion to which I have come: Raising kids is an art, not a science. Therefore, there is no manual. But if there were a manual, it would need to include chapters such as:
  • Don't Give Sick Kids Milk (Unless You Like Cleaning up Curdled Milk at Midnight)
  • How To Crawl Under a Rock When They Embarrass You (And it will happen)
  • Multi-Tasking (Or the Fine Art of Making Dinner, Playing the Dot Game and Showering At the Same Time)
  • Understanding Gibberish
  • Tantrums 101 (Or What to do When Your Kid has Thrown Himself on the Floor of Whatever Store You Happen to be in Because You Said the Two Letter Word)
  • Forget 4 Letter Words, The 2 Letter One is Worse
  • Sibling Rivalry (Or He Breathed on Me)
  • Traveling With Children (Why No One Does It)
This is by no means a complete list of chapters, but it would be a good start. I love parenthood!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I really need that chapter on tantrums - like NOW! My soon-to-be 3 y/o is really "asserting" himself lately. I'd totally buy that book. In fact, I'd buy stock in it, too. But ya know, if kids did come with a manual - the people who really need one, probably wouldn't read it anyway.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, fellow SITS mama!

    ReplyDelete

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.