Friday, May 8, 2009

Now I Remember

Last summer, when we PCS'd to Kentucky, I initially loved the area. We came here from El Paso where lush green grass and beautiful green trees were few and far between. Here we have a wonderful green backyard with a fabulous view of tons of trees. In the evenings, rabbits would hop around and on occasion deer would come out of the forest. It was really relaxing. Then winter hit. I am not a cold weather girl, so the ice storm and subsequent freakin' cold weather that was accompanied by brown grass and trees was not a welcome change in my opinion. During those long winter months, I found myself almost longing for the starkness of West Texas because despite the lack of almost anything green at least it's warm there. Frequently, I reminded the hubby of how much I miss Hawaii and how much this place sucks in comparison. However, over the last few weeks, our yard has greened up and the trees have bloomed. Now I remember why I loved this area so much. Now, if only it would stay this way! I suppose I will just enjoy it while it lasts because maybe this is just nature's way of reminding me that nothing in this life lasts forever so we must remember to live in the moment and enjoy it all while we've got it :) This seems an appropriate place to insert one of my favorite poems.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

~Robert Frost

Have a wonderful day and remember to make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.