Monday, March 9, 2009

A Family Favorite

Many moons ago, my hubby went on his first training exercise with the Army. It took him to Thailand for about a month and left me alone in a new place (Hawaii, so I didn't complain too much) with a newborn. Needless to say, I was super excited for him to return home. I decided to cook him a special dinner to welcome him home. I remember calling my mom a couple of days before he was set to arrive to get the recipe for an old family favorite. At the time, I was not much of a cook and needed something easy to make. Well, the dinner turned out great (probably the first successful meal I'd ever made him) and to this day it is my fall back meal. Anytime that I am at a loss, I just throw this together and I've yet to receive a complaint out of him. In fact, it's what's for dinner tonight :) So, I thought that since it has been a while since I shared a recipe that I'd share this one. Hope you enjoy it!

Mexican Chicken

1 lb. cooked, cubed chicken
1 bag crushed doritos (any flavor, but we prefer Ranch)
8 oz. shredded cheese (again, any flavor, but I use one of the Mexican blends)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can rotele (drain about half the liquid....and you can use any variety, I use regular as the others are too hot for the kiddos)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9 baking dish, make a thin layer of crushed doritos (maybe 1/4 of the bag). Then spread the cubed chicken evenly over the chips. In a bowl, mix the soups and the rotele. Spread over the chicken. Then spread most of the rest of the doritos evenly over the top (I always save a few to eat, but that's just me...) Cover with the cheese. Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted.

The hubby's favorite part is the crust created by the chips and the cheese :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.