Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

As I've mentioned before, we are coming up on a move.  The lovely part of moving is that I have to empty out my cabinets.  Sometimes, the movers will pack some food items, but I really don't like to for a few reasons.  Moving is a good excuse to use up everything and start with new stuff.  I also don't like the idea that our stuff will be in storage for an unknown amount of time and any number of multi-legged critters could be attracted to our boxes if they have food in them.  Anyways, in my attempts to get rid of everything, I start making random things with whatever I have.  The other day, I decided to try some Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes.  I'd seen recipes for them before, so I googled it and went from there.  Here's what I came up with:

Cupcakes

2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your pans for 24 cupcakes.  In large bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla until blended.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat until it starts to come together.  Then add the boiling water very slowly.  Mix until smooth.  (The mixture will be thin, so don't freak out)  Scoop into pans (do not, I repeat, do not fill the cups more than 3/4 full).  Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack until cupcakes are cool.  Then frost...

Frosting

**I didn't have much powdered sugar, so this recipe doesn't make much...it's just enough to put a fairly thin layer on 24 cupcakes.  If you like mounds of frosting on your cupcakes, just double this and you should be fine.

1 stick butter at room temp.
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Beat butter until creamy.  Stir milk and vanilla together in a measuring cup.  In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cinnamon.  Starting and ending with the powdered sugar mixture, alternatively beat the powdered sugar and milk mixtures into the butter.

1 comment:

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.