Friday, January 23, 2009

Starch-less Potatoes

As I wrote my blog yesterday, I nearly forgot to include the potatoes in the recipe. When I realized my mistake, I fixed it and that got me to thinking about this dream I had last week. Before I share the dream, there are a few bits of background info you have to have:

1. My mother is a little nutty when it comes to food. She once made mashed celery root as an alternative to mashed potatoes because potatoes are starchy. She buys $6 applesauce because it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it and she's been known to make spinach brownies. All of this is only the tip of the iceberg.

2. I make weekly dinner menus for our family. (It makes grocery shopping easier in addition to actually making the meals. There's never a night when I go "Hmmm, what are we going to eat tonight?") Generally, potatoes are on the menu probably 4 nights every week. What?! We're a potato-lovin' family!

Ok, so here's the dream: My parental units came up to visit us. I had made the menu for the week and decided that it was a good idea to let my mom go along to the grocery store. I didn't have potatoes on my list because I already had some at home. We went through the store and had managed to get everything on the list without me losing mom in the store once (a MAJOR accomplishment, trust me). We were walking to the check-out and passed the produce department where my mom stops and announces that I have forgotten to get potatoes. "No mom," I say, "I have potatoes at home." She stomps her foot, looks at me like I've lost my mind and proceeds to inform me that the potatoes I have at home have starch in them and she will not allow me to feed her grandchildren such a horrible thing. She then tells me that I have to buy the starch-free potatoes. Then I woke up.

Ever since I had this dream, I've been a bit irritated that I woke up when I did, though. I wonder, did my mom actually find starch-free potatoes in the Wal-Mart in backwoods Kentucky?! If she did, I'm quite impressed because I can't even find regular potatoes that haven't begun to sprout eyes in that place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?! Yes, please! I'll return the love.